Sunday, February 28, 2010

Meet Mariana Herrera Mosli . . .


Mariana Herrera Mosli


An artist's eye, patience and skill are what make an image and not their tools.
 Ansel once said "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."


Cameras don't take pictures, photographers do. Cameras are just another artist's tool.

Location: Tampa, Fl

DOB: June 24

Children: Karina, daughter, 10 years old & Jared, son, 7 years old

Husband: Khaled Mosli

Contact Info:

Name of Business: Kismis Ink Photography

Website: http://www.kismisink.com/

Blog: http://kismisink.blogspot.com/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kismisink

Twitter: @marianahmosli or @kismisink

Email: mariana@kismisink.com

What's in your bag? (if you are building your bag, what do you desire for your bag?)

My bag is currently being updated!

Nikon D60 (my first camera *sniff) currently upgrading to the Nikon D700

Nikon SB-900 AF Speedlight Flash

AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G

AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4G

I would like to also add these lenses:

135mm f/2 DC AF and maybe a macro and tele zoom lens ;-)

What's your favorite editing software?

I have used lightroom and loved it! But, I have to say my fav is Photoshop! I love using textures and getting creative and photoshop is a great tool for that! I currently use CS3 but on occasion use CS4.

Favorite Food?

Buffalo chicken wrap from Great Wraps, yummy! I am also addicted to Arabic food!

Favorite Color?

Black! It’s funny how we are always attracted to colors, but tend to forget how powerful black truly is. One of the main reasons every woman should own a little black dress! ;-)

A few of your favorite things?

God
My children and husband!
Music! I cannot function without it.
Facebook
Education, I can never get enough.
Magazines, Google Reader, Driving, this may sound silly but the feeling I get after cleaning my house!
Nikon
Everything related to art and humanity

What or who inspires you? God, my family, anything visual (magazines, internet, books, etc…)

Name something you just have to have every day: Facebook (hahaha!)

Tell us all about your journey into the world of photography. When did you realize that this is what you wanted to do and why.

I have always had a special place in my heart for photography and growing up all my friends called me paparazzi because everywhere I went, I brought my little yellow disposable camera! I think I must have purchased enough of those to fill up an entire state! But after a while, I got busy with “work” and put my passions to the side for years! When I met my husband, I met my soul mate. He was so creative and he helped me bring back my creativity and integrate it into our daily lives. He showed me that you don’t have to see creativity as a distraction. He loves photography just as much as I do. When he graduated with his Master’s degree I got him his first DSLR (the Nikon D60). Little did I know that it would be parked in a corner for months because now he was too busy with “work” to play with it. Seeing the camera so lonely, I decided to take it out to play. That’s it! I was hooked and I knew that whatever I decided to do in life, it would be with a camera by my side.

If you already have photography business please tell us about it, type of photography you do, how long you have been doing it, etc...

My husband works full time at a university and I am a full time student at another university and with our two children we thought we would never be able to open a business for our photography passion. But late last year, we jumped in with our sleeves rolled up and I am so thankful to God we did. This journey is just starting, but it has been an amazing experience so far and we look forward to all of God’s blessings and wonderful surprises he has in store for us!!

We do lifestyle and journalistic style photography that includes weddings, portraits, birthdays, boudoir, events, and any other category that we can experiment with! If there is a face, we are on it! J My favorite part of photography is catching those unexpected expressions!

Who is your favorite photographer that you follow and why?

I have so many favs, this is the hardest question on here! But I truly love Mark Eric’s work. I love the uniqueness, colors, ideas, and I can keep on going!!  He is a huge source of inspiration!


Besides photography, what else do you do, i.e. work, domestic engineer, volunteer?

I am a full time mom, wife, and student at the University of Tampa. I am pursuing a Bachelor’s in Communication with a minor in journalism. I plan to merge that with my passion for photography and travel the world! ;)

What are some of your other hobbies and/or things that you like to do besides photography?

I love reading books and bike riding but I must admit that with my schedule and responsibilities I don’t have time to do either as much as I would like.

I love retouching images and if I wasn’t a photographer I think I could be a full time retoucher very easily!  It really relaxes me when I edit images. The computer screen is my canvas and I am creating my art!

I love networking, meeting new people, making friends and enjoying our time together!

Do you have any other businesses that you are incorporating and/or combining in your photography business or that is separate other than photography?

Nope, when I graduate though, I do plan to merge what I studied with photography and follow a career path in that manner. I can’t wait to see how our business will evolve over time and to look back and see where and how we started!

If there is one thing in the world that you would like to change, what would that be and why?

I have two bad combos that I would LOVE to change! I am impatient at times and procrastinate (especially with school work)! I rather be taking pictures or editing and I need to tell myself about 50 billion times a day that I must focus and stay on track! 

Name three things you would like to do before you die?

Visit Jerusalem

Live my life in a way that when I die, I will be remembered as making some awesome changes for humanity (or at least trying) ;)

Do something completely WILD (along the lines of running in the middle of NY completely naked at the age of 90) haha! Yep, I want to live a long time! ;-)

List three goals you would like to accomplish in 2010:

Document a wedding in Dubai!!!

For our work to be featured in a magazine, ahhhh that would be dreamy!

Master the art of time management!! Ha! Find time to do everything! ;-)

Please tell us about the photos you are submitting and why they are your favorites.









If there is any other information you would like to add? 

A big thank you to Marla, all the SOAR! Sisters, and everyone reading this! Thanks for the support and for allowing me the opportunity to share a part of who I am, what I do, and my personal and professional goals.

God Bless!
__________________________________________________________________________________
 
Thank you Mariana for participating in the SOAR Sister Spotlight!  It was so great to learn all about you and I have to say that I am a BIG fan of your work!  Your images have such a chic tone to them and are very distinguished in style.  I always love visiting your blog and website and seeing what project you are working on next!  Good luck to you in the coming year and with school.  Maybe we can travel the world together someday! :-) 

5 comments:

  1. Marla,
    The spotlight is wonderful! Thank you for your beautiful words and for ALL you do! It would be amazing to travel together and I really look forward to meeting you sometime in the future!!

    My best wishes for you and your success!!

    Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to participate in the spotlight! :D

    God bless,
    Mariana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures, Mariana! I especially love the top two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the pictures, have not been here in a while, sorry, kept wondering if Mariana was Brazilian? very brazilian name, will have to ask her

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mariana we share a birthday!
    You are a really great photographer. I love the pictures you submitted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, Mariana! I really love that photo of the legs in front of the window. Your composition is perfect and the colors dreamy. I had fun reading about you!!

    ReplyDelete