Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Meet Kim Perea . . .

Kim Perea

 "Don't quack like a duck, soar like an eagle" -Kenneth Blanchard



Name: Kim Perea (although on March 27,  I am getting married and will be Kim Chodorowski!!!)

Location:  Brunswick, GA
DOB: February 8, 1980 - I celebrated my 30th birthday this month!!
Children: Adrian is 5 and Julian is 3
Husband: Derek will be my hubby in just one month!!!
Animals: We have a 100 lb. golden retriever named Dakota, a black lab named Georgia (she's my running buddy), and an orange cat named Morris

Contact Info: email me at lifesstories@gmail.com

Name of Business: Life's Stories Photography

Website: http://www.lifesstories.net

Blog: http://blog.lifesstories.net

Facebook: kapereasd

Twitter: not that cool :(

Skype: gachowders

Email: lifesstories@gmail.com

What's in your bag? (if you are building your bag, what do you desire for your bag?)

I have a Canon 50d body and the following lenses: 18-200 f/2.8 (I LOVE this one!!), a 50mm f/1.8, a 17-70mm macro, and a 70-300mm which I love for photographing my sons' sporting events. I also have a bunch of little extras like polarizing filters, extra cards and batteries, external flashes, a battery grip...the accessories are fun and neverending!! I would really love a nice ball head tripod though....

Favorite Food?

I grew up in New Mexico so I love my Northern New Mexican food...anything with red or green chile will make me drool but I especially love Chile Works burritos and stuffed sopaipillas. And I believe everything tastes better with avocado and/or Sadie's Salsa

Favorite Color? pink

Zodiac Sign? aquarius

A few of your favorite things?

my body. putting on warm clothes straight from the dryer...cleaning my ears with q-tips (I know weird, huh? but I love it!!), massages, sharpies, notebooks (Office Depot is my candy store)

What or who inspires you?

My mom. She grew up in less than ideal circumstances, and rather than fall into the same pattern and make excuses for her shortcomings, she worked hard and succeeded and became the most tremendous person. I see that she achieved so much after coming from so little and this inspires me to be the best that I can be also.

Name something you just have to have everyday: coffee!!

Tell us all about your journey into the world of photography. When did you realize that this is what you wanted to do and why.

I had a friend who had all of these amazing photos of her daughter. I had lots of pictures of my boys also, but they didn't compare. I wanted great ones too. So I went out completely blind to what I was doing and bought a DSLR. I also bought the book Understanding Exposure. I self taught myself how to take better photos and was on my way. Through this process I discovered that I don't really love posing my boys - I would much rather capture them in the moment. There are so many moments in their lives that I am afraid I will forget...the little things like facial expressions or how they interacted with certain toys. I made it my mission to capture these moments on 'film' and then went from there...and couldn't stop!!

If you already have a photography business please tell us about it, type of photography you do, how long you have been doing it, etc...

I am just getting started!! I am in the process of building up Life's Stories Photography. I am right now specializing in families and children and have a partnership with a friend where we are hoping to shoot

Who is your favorite photographer that you follow and why?

Obviously, Me Ra...she is such an inspiration both in her photography and outside of it. I love how she empowers women and encourages us to have confidence and be the best that we can do - how she pushes us to step outside the box. Without all of this, I would have never had the courage to take off.

I also LOVE Teresa Earnest from Memories 'n' More Photography in Savannah, Ga. She will be my wedding photographer in March and is terrific! I love her eye for capturing the special moments. Teresa did a photo session for my fiance, my sons, and me back in October and she was so fun to work with. She made our experience so much fun - the boys loved her!!. This is what I strive to make my photography like - fun!!

Besides photography, what else do you do , i.e. work, domestic engineer, volunteer?

I am a special education teacher for middle school students with severe emotional and behavioral disorders. I work at an alternative school that serves these students and students with autism from grades K-12. It is challenging, but I love it!!

What are some of your other hobbies and/or things that you like to do besides photography?

I am an avid runner. I have run several half marathons and am training for my first marathon (by the time I am 'spotlighted' I should have finished it!!). I also love to read. Chick lit is my favorite but I enjoy all genres.

If there is one thing in the world that you would like to change, what would that be and why?

I see too many of my students who have terrible home lives. They have witnessed things that I cannot even begin to imagine...yet it is a reality for them. They suffer terribly for it. I believe that every child deserves a fighting chance - an environment where they can thrive and achieve their highest potential. I wish so much that no child had to endure these hardships and that all could be blessed to have the loving family that I had growing up.

Name three things you would like to do before you die?

1. visit Macchu Picchu

2. run a marathon (although by the time this is published, I should have done this - so make it a triathlon!!)

3. see my sons grow up to be successful and happy

List three goals you would like to accomplish in 2010:

1. shoot my first wedding

2. take time to enjoy my first year of marriage

3. make it to the end of the year with no credit card debt!!!

Please tell us about the photos you are submitting and why they are your favorites.



This is my son, Julian. He is 3 years old and is still a thumb sucker. We decided that
we needed to get him to stop sucking his thumb by his 4th birthday. I know it is not a
healthy habit for him, yet I find it irresistible. I want to treasure this sweetness
before it goes away.


Adrian is a little guy. He is the smallest kid in his class and was the smallest guy
on his soccer team. I love how this never stops him. He shows such strength and aggression
on the field and I love how this photograph captures this.


I went to my uncle's house for Thanksgiving last year. After running a 4K together, the family went outside in the courtyard and did yoga (you gotta love Florida weather in November!!).
I love the pose and the look in Elena's face as she does Warrior pose.
Her facial expression is just perfect zen for the yoga!


Driftwood Beach is my favorite place to go. I go there with the boys to play around and also by myself when I need time to unwind. One night I headed out there and I was the only person aside from this family who was out crabbing. I love the silhouettes of this picture in front of the vibrant sunset. I don't know why this photo grabs at me so much, but it does. I just love it.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Kim, Thank you for sharing with us!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO! 
I wish you well with your photography business in the coming year, your marathon and your upcoming marriage at the end of March.  You certainly are a busy woman!  I hope all your dreams come true and your business flourishes this year! 

Please note:  Kim's spotlight was moved from it's original date and so she has not ran in the marathon yet.  Good luck Kim!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Kim! :)
    Your photos from driftwood Beach (on your blog) are wonderful! Looking forward to seeing your wedding photos AND the wedding you will hopefully be shooting sometime this year! :)
    Best of Luck to you!
    Shine On!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Kim. I love cleaning my ears too - so, no, not wierd ;) Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I look forward to seeing pictures.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful collection of photos of your children! Glad to meet you Kim and who knows, maybe we'll meet in person someday...
    Good luck on your first wedding too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sunset! I have a close friend that LOVES office supplies too, she's a writer and she's even written short stories about them! :)

    ReplyDelete