Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Meet Meghan Senkel . . .

Meghan Senkel


"What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?" ~ Spaceballs (aka: the best movie of all time!)


Location: Annapolis, Maryland

DOB: September 24th

Children: Not yet, but soon. Probably.

Husband: Jesse

Animals: Chinsey (dog) and Gabby (cat)

Contact Info:

Name of Business: Meghan Senkel Photography

Website: meghansenkelphotography.com & http://meghansenkelphotography.smugmug.com//

Blog: http://meghansenkelphotography.com/blog/

Twitter: MeghanSenkel

Skype: meghan.senkel

Email: meghan dot senkel at gmail dot com

What's in your bag? (if you are building your bag, what do you desire for your bag?)

Currently in my bag is my Canon Digital Rebel XTi, the 18-55mm 3.5 kit lens which I never use, my 50mm 1.8 prime lens which is what true love is all about (it's less than $100 people, go get one!), and a marvelous 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 wide angle lens which is so fun to play with. I also have a few tripods, a gorilla pod (which I rarely use!), a remote which is great because it allows me to be in photos more easily and also for doing other crazy projects like self-portraits and long exposures with no camera shake.

What do I want to add? Hmmmmm...is there a spending limit?? I'd really love to upgrade camera bodies, but I'm not sure if I want a monster like something in the Canon Mark series or something smaller like the Canon 7D. And it's not like I have to worry right now...by the time I can afford one there will be something new and shiny out! As for lenses I'd like to upgrade to the 50mm 1.4 and I need a great telephoto, but not sure on this one either! Also some fun trick lenses like a Lensbaby would be neat to play with, maybe even a fisheye.

What's your favorite editing software?

Lightroom all of the way! I love it and while I'm pretty good at it, I know there is so much more to learn. I also like Photoshop CS2 for other processing that I can't do in Lightroom- like for creating diptychs, blog headers, Christmas cards, etc...

Favorite Food? I'm having a ridiculous love affair with Hollandaise sauce right now!

Favorite Color? Can I say all of them? If I have to choose....I'd say hot pink. It's fun, feisty, and wild. Kinda like me. ;)

Zodiac Sign? Libra

A few of your favorite things?

Tiny art- I have this great collection of small, original pieces of art and the smaller the better. As a matter of fact I love original art period. Something about owning a one-of-a-kind piece of someone's heart and soul is really special. I also love art supplies, but have no real talent for it, aside from photography of course, but I like to dabble every now and then. Other favorites- really delicious food and eating experiences that are more like out of body experiences, cheese of all kinds, good wine. On a non-food related note, I love cuddling with my husband in bed on weekend mornings...those wonderful, warm, sleepy moments before I think of all the stuff I want or need to do. It's heaven!

What inspires you?

Right now I'm really gobbling up all I can of other photographers- taking in their work and style, filing it away for inspiration later. Seeing what others do makes me want to try my hand at the same thing, not that I'm trying to achieve their exact effect, but I love how it ends up leading me down this creative path where I end up somewhere very different from where I started in my mind. It's a great catalyst that propels me forward and helps me to learn. I'm also really inspired by colors and light, both of which I'd like to learn to photograph better, so I'm always really impressed when I see someone who can capture them so well. Emotions also play a big part of my photography. When I look at a scene and am filled with happiness, sadness, excitement, or wonder, I want to freeze that and share it with others. It's a great success to share a raw, real feeling with another person through a photo.

Name something you just have to have everyday:

Laughter. I am not a serious person, in fact I'm quite lewd and crude and have this really bizarre sense of humor. So, I like to make others laugh and like to laugh a lot myself by being goofy and crazy. Oh, yeah and a hug and kiss from my hunk-o-man-meat. :D

Tell us all about your journey into the world of photography. When did you realize that this is what you wanted to do and why.

Okay why do I feel like I'm applying for college all over again? :) I really realized that I wanted to pursue photography during the SOAR! Scholarship. At first I was kind of "whatever" about it and sent in my application and video (back when there were only 21 entries) and thought that it would be cool if I won, and if not...oh well. But as time went on, with more and more amazing women signing up, I really started to dream about what it would be like to take my photography to the next level. It came to a point where I realized that a snowball had a better chance in hell then I had a chance at winning the scholarship and it made me a bit sad. But more surprisingly, it made me really, really mad. I got angry because it was insane to allow my life and my future to be dictated by a single event. I realized that no one has more control over my life than me, and if I wanted to do this all I had to do was reach out and grab it. So, from then on I started to plan my launch for the very second the winners were announced. I had not only realized that I wanted photography as a business, but that I didn't need someone to hand it to me in order to have it- I'd had the ability to do it myself all along. D'oh!

If you are dreaming of starting your business, what are you learning and/or doing to move you towards your goal?

Oh...how about EVERYTHING! Wow...there is so much to do! Firstly, and I think most importantly, I got my family and friends involved. I've been so surprised by how people have totally gone out of their way to make suggestions, offer services, and even just to say "congrats" and offer their support. And the support has been tremendous- without it I know I couldn't last for a week. Of course there's been blogging and social networking so I can begin to create a following of people and a presence on the web. Setting up a SmugMug account so people can really see what I'm about. I guess that falls under the header of Shameless Pimping. There's also a lot of talking my friends into letting me shoot them and their significant others/families so I can build my portfolio. Pricing has been a monster and unfortunately there is no magic bullet that will answer it for you. And the little things like ordering business cards, registering my domain name, reading up, checking photog blogs (it rhymes!), forums, and ..... I'm pooped just thinking about it!

Who is your favorite photographer that you follow and why?

Right now I'm pretty in love with Kat Speyer of Persimmon Images .  Although, she doesn't know it yet! I'll probably contact her in the near future to profess my love. She has a look and feel to her image/brand that I would like to achieve some day. Her photos are full of light, tell amazing and emotional stories, and she's got a really great eye for detail and interest. *sigh*


Besides photography, what else do you do , i.e. work, domestic engineer, volunteer?

Besides being Queen of the Universe (no, seriously.) I work for the State of Maryland as a Natural Resource Planner. I really do love my job and especially my co-workers. Not only am I using my degree in Marine Resource Management, but I'm helping to protect the Chesapeake Bay. It's a nice feeling when you can look back and count the good things you've done by the acre. :)

What are some of your other hobbies and/or things that you like to do besides photography?

Let's see...I used to scrapbook- like the 12x12 albums with all the paper and crazy embellishments- but have given that up in favor of a more clean, modern look using Kolo products. My husband and I are also Netflix junkies. I also love to cook and share food with others.

Do you have any other businesses that you are incorporating and/or combining in your photography business or that is separate other than photography?

Nope! My plate is overflowing at this point!

If there is one thing in the world that you would like to change, what would that be and why?

Oh, man...so many things. It's hard to choose because every story on the news and amazing cause wrenches my heart. There is so much that needs to be done for other humans, animals, the environment- it's really daunting when you think about it. I'd have to say that I'd want every one to have the desire to give just a little more of themselves then they did before. Time, money, compassion...it doesn't really matter, but if everyone just did even 1% more than they were, the cumulative effect would be huge. And after all, it's human power that is going to change things, right?

Name three things you would like to do before you die:

1. Become a mother. The idea both enthralls me and freaks me out! But I know it will be wonderful. :)

2. Eat something so good it makes me cry. I've been close...but not quite!

3. Do more art, give more love, live life more full and balanced. Essentially live a happy, full life with no regret.

List three goals you would like to accomplish in 2010:

1. Turn a profit. I'm hard pressed to put a number down, but if I can make $0.01 more than I spent that would be a good first year.

2. Continue blogging regularly and maintain the interest of my readers, while helping them to grow and achieve their own goals.

3. Make each of my clients feel like a superstar who not only received a beautiful set of portraits that they are connected to emotionally, but also received superior service and care. I want them coming back for more!!

Please tell us about the photos you are submitting and why they are your favorites.



This is one of my most recent photos and was taken during a shoot with my good friend Mariah and her dog Bodie. The reason I love it so much is that when I look at it I can imagine seeing it on another photographer's site (you know...a "real" photographer) and thinking to myself, "Wow, that's really good! I'd pay for that!".


 This is a photo of my uncle (he's from Texas, can you tell?) that I snapped over Thanksgiving in Pennsylvania. There's so much about this image for me, it's hard to explain. It's simple and clean in black and white with an uncluttered background, but there's a lot of mood and story there too. And besides that, it captures him perfectly. It's just him in a quiet, uncluttered moment- his essence captured for all time.
And that's what making a good portrait is about.


 I can't really adequately relay how much I love this photo. Everything was perfect from the lighting, the angle of the roadside, the timing... And what's most amazing is that I had no control over any of it- I just hung the camera out of the window of the truck and pushed the shutter button! Again, it gets back to capturing light and emotion and this one is just very evocative of both for me.

This is by no means my best work, but it is my first work and that's what makes it so meaningful. This is one of the first photos I took after buying my DSLR and it's also the first time I used manual. It's also my first submission for my first 365 that I took. So, it really represents a new turn in my photography and the start of my journey, even when I had no idea that this is where I'd end up!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Meghan, thank you for participating in the Spotlight.  It was a pleasure hearing all about your journey into the photography world and I love that you have so much support too!  I know your business is going to flourish this year due to your overall ambition and excitement!  Keep up that wonderful attitude and you will really go all the way! 

7 comments:

  1. Go Meghan! You are rockin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This profile really captures who you are, Meghan! I love it, and find it really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan a.k.a Miss Awesomeness !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Meghan! I loved reading this. So glad to be along this journey with you my SOAR sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo woman! When we gonna get to meet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful profile and talent you've shared with us. You have such a happy, bubbly personality that is contagious. May your photography work and other life missions take off like a rocket this year!
    Wishing you the best,
    Susan Reynolds
    Orangevale, CA

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun to get to know a little bit more about you!!! Your enthusiasm is contagious. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete