Sunday, March 14, 2010

Meet Freida Hall . . .

Freida Hall

"...just remember that on this journey you will encounter bumps in the road. Not everyone is going to celebrate with you. But, count it all joy! You must be so focused on who you are in the Lord that no one and nothing can shake you from your path. Be encouraged because you have been blessed with a gift. Utilize it, develop it and keep your roots planted. Photograph, blog and post. You have a beauty and freedom that some may not appreciate due to their own fears. Be liberated in your self-expression. Your cheerleaders are sitting on the side lines of your life expecting victory! 'We ask ourselves who am I TO BE BRILLIANT, talented, gorgeous, fabulous? Who are you not to be. You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world'. Go to your destiny Fre!"
- Jodi Massengale


Location: Temecula, CA

DOB: October 11th

Children: Camereon (14) Bella (6), Tristan (1.5)

Husband: Jacob

Animals: 2 Pups -- Miley & Kona

Name of Business: Bella Inspiration Photography

Website: inspiredbybella.com

Blog: bellainspiration.blogspot.com

Facebook: Freida Houseknecht-Hall

Email: freidaketa@yahoo.com

What's in your bag? (if you are building your bag, what do you desire for your bag?)

*Canon 40D

*Canon 28-135mm lens

I am thinking I want the 50mm 1.4... but I am really clueless as to what lens I should get next.

What's your favorite editing software?

I only have Photoshop CS4... so by default... that is my favorite. :)

Favorite Food?

Italian and Seafood.... Mmmmm Lobster & Crab (haha... on a remote island with my toes in the sand and a colorful little umbrella in my drink)

Favorite Color?

Well of course blue! :)

A few of your favorite things?

Looking out at the ocean, A cold beer, Listening to Jimmy Buffett, Saying "Star light, star bright..." with my daughter & making a wish on a star at night, Photographing flowers around our home, Spa days, The smell of cilantro & lavender (not together), the warmth of the sun... Spring... and any day when I am able to be creative.

What or who inspires you?

Vibrant colors inspire me. People's stories inspire me. Hope inspires me.

Name something you just have to have everyday:

Sunshine! Rainy days just put me in a funk. Truly.

Tell us all about your journey into the world of photography. When did you realize that this is what you wanted to do and why.

Well... I went to a church sermon (hadn't been to church in like 10 years) last May to listen to an old co-worker (Jodi Massengale) give her first sermon. Hadn't seen her in 7 years... but knew I wanted to be there to support her. Little did I know... as the tears streamed down my cheeks while I listened to her words... that she was supporting me and delivering a powerful message that I needed to hear and one that I couldn't get out of my mind... God gives us all gifts/talents... we ought to pursue them... live them... now... today... and give thanks to God for blessing us with them. I purchased my first serious camera a month later (didn't even tell my husband about the $1000+ purchase until after I hit the submit button)... and a month after that I was invited by a professional photographer (a father in my daughter's class) to do a group shoot with 3 other professionals. SOOOO nervous... but I went to shoot the two families. Loved it! 8 months later... I am still truckin' towards finding my niche in the photography world.

If you already have a photography business please tell us about it, type of photography you do, how long you have been doing it, etc...

It's in the very early stages... since June 2009... I have just been shooting families... a lot of friends... just getting my feet wet, you know? What I hope to move towards with my photography is working with breast cancer patients. I particaipated in the Breast Cancer 60 mile 3-Day walk... and was touched to the core by the women... their strength, their hope, their courage... their beauty. I would love to utilize my photography to give back to women affected by cancer... to capture those precious fleeting moments for them.

Who is your favorite photographer that you follow and why?

I have 3... & for different reasons.

1. Mera Koh ... she inspires me with her words.... with her encouragement... with her openness.

2. Amy Boring ... her style is AMAZING! I would LOVE to have our family photos taken by her... maybe one day.

3. Zak Schwank ... I admire him for paying it forward and giving me the chance to dive into the photography world. I can honestly say if Zak didn't ask me to be part of the group shoot... I would only be photographing my kids at this point.

Besides photography, what else do you do , i.e. work, domestic engineer, volunteer?

I am a stay at home mom... and I work a couple days a week at Keyways Vineyard & Winery. Love it!!!

What are some of your other hobbies and/or things that you like to do besides photography?

My mom owned a stained glass business when I was in high school and taught me then how to do glass. A couple years ago when I was changing over from full time worker to stay at home mom... I asked my brother to build me a stained glass table. It's one of my favorite creative outlets... to go out to the garage and build stained glass windows for our home. A day without creativity just doesn't seem like an okay day at all to me.

Do you have any other businesses that you are incorporating and/or combining in your photography business or that is separate other than photography?

I have a greeting card line. :)  Le Bella Terra
If there is one thing in the world that you would like to change, what would that be and why?

I would love to see a cure for cancer... all cancers. Cancer sucks!

Name three things you would like to do before you die?

1. Look out my home window and see the ocean looking back at me.

2. Photograph my kids playing outside in the green grass with their kids.

3. Be able to call myself a professional photographer and let my passion be my career.

List three goals you would like to accomplish in 2010:

1. Work in some way with Michelle's Place (a local breast cancer resource center) using my photography as service

2. Shoot my first beach family photo session

3. Be able to look at a completed session and feel within myself that my photos are good.

Please tell us about the photos you are submitting and why they are your favorites.

 
 
This photo of my daughter at sunset with her skirt flowing and hair down... I just love.
It's rare when she doesn't jump into the ocean in 2.2 seconds...
so her standing at the edge was surely a fleeting moment.



This was the first time at the beach for my son. He loved it!!!
He crawled all over the place like a little crab! :)


I am finding that one of my favorite things to photograph are flowers.
 I love the colors.. the new growth... the detail.



My all time favorite photo! My mom is holding my son while my daughter, Bella, & my sister, Hanna, play off in the distance in the ocean. Side note: My daughter is 6... my sister is 10.
My mom started over 20 years later! :) This one is priceless to me!
_________________________________________________________________

Thank you Freida for participating in the spotlight!  It was so great getting to know you better and I wish you the best of luck with your photography business journey and card business.  The pictures of your flowers are gorgeous!  Keep up the great work and determination!  ♥

3 comments:

  1. Your story is wonderful and your photos are beautiful...May God keep you through the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading about some of your favorite things, made me relax. I love photographing flowers too! Thanks for sharing a bit about your journey Freida!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Freida. You will LOVE the 50 mm f/1.4 (its worth the extra $200 over the f/1.8), but if you love flowers, maybe you would like a macro lens better.

    ReplyDelete