Sunday, January 17, 2010

Meet Crissie!

Crissie graciously volunteered to be the first sister to be in the spotlight.  Over the last month and a half, we have all grown to love this amazing woman and I am sure you will all enjoy learning a little more about her! 


 Crissie Fields

 The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache. - Marjorie Pay Hinckley


Location:  Meridian, Idaho

DOB: March 29

Children: Austin 14, Sara Jane 10, Corban 7, Hudson 6, Emmeline 4

Husband: Scott, Boy of My Dreams, Pack Mule, Spider Squasher, Best Friend, Hit Man, Pool Boy, Trusted Advisor

Animals: 2 dogs, 2 cats.

Contact Info:

Facebook: www.facebook.com/crissief

Twitter: www.twitter.com/crissiefields

Skype: Crissie Fields

What's in your bag? (if you are building your bag, what do you desire for your bag?)

BRAND NEW Nikon D300, successor to the D70. SB600, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8, Nikkor 50 1.8, Fong Diffuser. At home I have 4 AB600s, a giant softbox, a few umbrellas and a Vagabond.

What's your favorite editing software? The only software I've used to date is Elements, so I'll have to say that! I'd like to buy Lightroom and upgrade to CS4.

Favorite Food:  In-n-Out Burgers          Favorite Color:   Blue                  Zodiac Sign:  Aries

A few of your favorite things:

Sticky kisses, the smell of the ocean, coming home to a noisy house with all of the lights on, my Scott, my Dad, good dreams, my nice sewing machine, giving, road trips, my sister, singing, good sheets, Boise State football, laughter, leaves in the Fall, Diet Pepsi, intelligence, Project Runway, affirmation, learning

What inspires you? Color, line, strength, love, beauty, texture, light

Name something you just have to have everyday:

I was tempted to say Diet Pepsi, but it really and truly is my beautiful family. It always has been... I had a very difficult childhood being the daughter of a mother with mental illness. That legacy haunts me to this day... During the rough times of growing up, I always promised myself that when I could choose my family, I would choose someone I could rely on.

I met my husband when I was 19, and I'm not ignorant to the fact that getting married at 20, things were statistically against our success. I am very blessed. As I frequently tell him, he's the only good decision that I made at that age. Together we've been through 3 stillbirths, 5 live births, 2 intubations for my asthma, financial prosperity and unfortunately conversely lean times.

On occasion, he has physically fed me, clothed me and made sure that I got up in the morning. He has buffered me from some of the ugliness that the world has to offer. He cried when our first dog died. He got up each work day for 14 years and went to a job that he didn't particularly enjoy so that I could enjoy the comforts of a nice home, car and satellite tv. He let me name each of our children. He sat in line for 8 hours each home game this season so that he could secure me a good seat from which to photograph the game. He is the more organized, rational side needed to balance my creative, throw caution to the wind personality. He is always considerate of my comfort. He paints toenails. He's H O T hot.

I'm a very lucky girl and the only thing I need every day is my Scott.

Tell us all about your journey into the world of photography. When did you realize that this is what you wanted to do and why.

I've loved photography since taking a class in high school, but the flame was reignited after we lost our twins. When nothing made sense, I could still find beauty in photos.

If you already have a photography business please tell us the name of your business, type of photography you do, how long you have been doing it, website address and blog information.

I haven't yet taken the plunge into photography for profit. On occasion, I've photographed families from Church, friends, etc.

If you are dreaming of starting your business, what are you learning and/or doing to move you towards your goal?

Next month, I've been invited to start a great PhotoShop class and I'm really excited! I just got a new camera and I've diving right into learning it. I'm going to spend the football off-season photographing other sports, honing my skills and getting ready to find a freelance job next Fall. I absolutely adore sports photography. I'd also love to do commercial photography for the athletes, but I haven't quite figured that out yet. I'm hoping to practice on some of our athlete friends and see where that takes me. I'm still figuring things out.

Who is your favorite photographer that you follow and why?

I really enjoy Carey from Barefoot Memories for several reasons. Probably the first is the way that she's structured her business so that she controls her business and her business doesn't control her life. I admire that. Also, since I listed the ocean as one of my favorite things, I definitely enjoy her beautiful images.

Besides photography, what else do you do , i.e. work, domestic engineer, volunteer?

I am first and foremost the mother of 5 amazing children. We homeschool the 4 school aged children, so I'd probably consider this my full time job.

What are some of your other hobbies and/or things that you like to do besides photography?

I really enjoy sewing! I love to make outfits for my girls, although at 10, Sara Jane has just about outgrown wanting to wear "mom-wear". In case you didn't know (hahhaa) I LOVE football, especially our local college team.

Do you have any other businesses that you are incorporating and/or combining in your photography business or that is separate other than photography?

Along the sewing line, I am really interested to explore the option of combining my love of boutique clothing with my love of photography. I think it would be fun to offer mini-sessions that include a custom t-shirt, say to celebrate a first birthday or something similar.

If there is one thing in the world that you would like to change, what would that be and why?

I've never understood why so many children are in foster care waiting for a "forever home". As soon as we're financially stable again, I hope to be able to adopt a few children out of foster care.

Name three things you would like to do before you die?

Raise my children to be happy, self-confident, contributing members of society with families of their own. TRAVEL! Have photos published in Sports Illustrated. ;)

List three goals you would like to accomplish in 2010:

Be accepting regular clients by May. Mastering my studio lights. Finding a freelance job for the football season. :)

Please tell us about the photos you are submitting and why they are your favorites.


Cannon Beach last March. It remains my all-time favorite photo.



From the sidelines at a Boise State game this season.



 My favorite sunset (doesn't everyone have at least one of these photos?)



This is a photo that I took of my daughter for my dad, who is a big Lakers fan.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you Crissie for sharing with us!  Be sure to connect with Crissie via Facebook, Twitter & Skype!

4 comments:

  1. I love it! It's nice to see a fellow Aries (arian?) who also loves to sew and be behind the camera! Rock on, Crissie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to start this blog, Crissie has been a wonderful inspiration and ambassador to us all,.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Feuza, I agree, it was the perfect person to start with! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful first lady to start with! Here exhuberance is contagious! You GO Girl!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete